Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta programming with Siri/Alexa, excluding a certain room

Caseta programming with Siri/Alexa, excluding a certain room

Hello,

Noobie to the forum, so I apologize if my question is silly.

I just installed the Caseta system throughout my home. I have about 14 dimmers, 2 non-dimming switches, and 6 or 7 Picos. So far, I must say that this is an amazing system. It was incredibly easy to install and the function has been perfect.

For the most part, all of my dimmers are in common areas (halls, stairs, living room, kitchen, etc). I have one dimmer in my Master with a Pico next to my bed. I have a Lutron scene set for “all on”, which includes only the common areas. When I tell Siri to “turn all my lights on” will it turn ALL my lights on, or just the Lutron scene I created? I do not want someone to come home and turn all the lights on, including those that are sleeping in their rooms.

I guess I need a little primer on how all this works.

Thanks!

Siri and Alexa have nothing to do with pico remotes, so if you have the pico set for certain lights it will only work with the remote.

You will need to make your own scenes in the app. Here is the fun part, Alexa will see your lutron scenes. (alexa turn on "watch tv") Siri will not see any scenes created in the lutron app, and you will have to recreate them in the home app to be able to use scenes with siri.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    Siri and Alexa have nothing to do with pico remotes, so if you have the pico set for certain lights it will only work with the remote.

You will need to make your own scenes in the app. Here is the fun part, Alexa will see your lutron scenes. (alexa turn on "watch tv") Siri will not see any scenes created in the lutron app, and you will have to recreate them in the home app to be able to use scenes with siri.
    Thank you for responding. Perhaps I did was not clear with my needs. At this time, if I tell Siri to "turn on all my lights" it will do just that: turn on all my lights. I have no scenes in my Homekit, yet Siri does that just fine. What I would like to do is have Siri NOT turn on my Master lights in such a scenario. I guess I could create a scene where all my lights go on, except for the Master Bedroom, but that will not prevent someone (we have 7 family members in our home) from still saying "turn on all my lights". If that happens while my wife is sleeping, she will be pretty upset, which in turn, will make a pretty lousy day for me.

So, I guess what I am asking is, can I have a Lutron dimmer in my Master, along with a couple of Pico's that control it, that are entirely separate from the rest of the Lutron system so as to avoid this issue?

As you mentioned, only way to do it is to create a new scene with the lights you want, I do not know of anyway to exclude just one, when using "all lights" Just have to train the family not to turn on all the lights.
    You can ask turn on main floor lights, turn on basement lights, turn on second floor lights. Might help, keep the on area dark.