Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HWI Legacy support sample design

HWI Legacy support sample design

Hi Lutron-
    How about a sample "HWI legacy support" program?

I just had a good talk with Lutron Tech Support regarding the 'token' (1 each per proc link with HWI keypads) and hardware required, Cust Service was able to help me get pricing on the token and the hardware adapter.

I am trying to mock this up in QS 8.1 so I can understand the ins-and-outs of updating a HWI system to HWQS- we have a excellent client we'd consider offering this update. I've read (breezed) through the FAQ rev D but I'd like to hand off a BOM to our sales team so they understand all the parts involved in this upgrade.

An example program showing what the design tab in 8.1 would look like could be very helpful.

2. Likes stevi liked this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Attached is a sample program with Legacy HomeWorks Illumination devices and the BOM.

We have added the different keypads you can have into the HWI keypad link as well as the CCI-8 and CCO-8 interfaces. Please be aware, these will not show up in the bill of materials as they are the previously existing devices you are upgrading in the system. You will see in the BOM however, the HWI link software license and the hardware interface for the link.

You can also see an RPM panel and H48 board with dimmers that could also be brought from the HWI system. There should be a special note on the BOM when working with Customer Service stating which devices you already have in order to not be billed for them again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    Thanks Armando-
    Maybe the BOM was too much info? It looks like the MSRP on the HWI wallbox devices is off, as well. The sample design is very helpful!

So as I understand it if the client does not want to upgrade keypads there would be a 1,500 license fee for each link activation for keypads. I assume then 32 keypads per link would be allowed. However if the client has more then 32 keypads it would be an additional 1,500 fee for a 2nd link. This could get costly on a multi processor job where processors are located in different locations but only have a few keypads on a link. This fee is basically per database per link ? Any plans in the near future to make licensing based on a per keypad basis ?

Im sure once your over a few keypads then it works out cheaper then buying new keypads. At this point besides the ability to change the LED intensity on a keypad what other benefits does a QS keypad give you over HWI Keypad ?

I also see that if the keypads were powered from the HWI processor you would then need an additional power supply.

When using older illumination switches and dimmers that only requires a 40.00 interface and no licensing fees ? This would only be good for Maestro and not Vario. However if the devices were hung of the processor and not an H48 board you would be required to buy that board and enclosure I assume they can not go directly on the processor like in Illuminations.

Thank you for your feedback and comments.

The keypad link licensing fee at this point is on a per link basis and it will bind to a link in the processor.

QS keypads can have individual button backlight control and intensity, as well as support more in depth keypad communication diagnostics.

You would need an additional 15V power supply to provide power to the legacy HW keypads.

The processor already does contain an H48 link that will only work with the board for HWD wired Maestros, unfortunately, not the Vareos. The hardware interface would only be required if the board is 50ft away or more from the processor. An external H48 would be required to control the dimmers. You would need the LV 17 panel enclosure for the board as the dimmers cannot go on the proessor itself.

8. Thanks mcignarella thanked for this post
    Likes mcignarella liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post

The keypad link licensing fee at this point is on a per link basis and it will bind to a link in the processor.

QS keypads can have individual button backlight control and intensity, as well as support more in depth keypad communication diagnostics.

You would need an additional 15V power supply to provide power to the legacy HW keypads.

The processor already does contain an H48 link that will only work with the board for HWD wired Maestros, unfortunately, not the Vareos. The hardware interface would only be required if the board is 50ft away or more from the processor. An external H48 would be required to control the dimmers. You would need the LV 17 panel enclosure for the board as the dimmers cannot go on the proessor itself.
    Okay so if we already have an H48 interface board existing and it is located less then 50Ft from the new qs processor then no interface is required for the H48 board to talk to the H48 link on the new qs processor is that correct ?

That is correct. No hardware interface will be needed for the H48 board if it is less than 50ft away.

11. Thanks mcignarella thanked for this post
    Likes mcignarella liked this post
    How do I get the legacy devices to be displayed in the toolbox pages ?

(Found it, under current project settings)
    D'oh

Where in the QS software is the HQ-hWI-KP-SW so it shows in the Bill of Materials?
    Also looking for the HW-HWI-LX in the software??
    I assume that if you have "Legacy" keypads and QS keypads, each have to live on their respective link, correct ? So i need (2) links for keypads ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Craig View Post
    Where in the QS software is the HQ-hWI-KP-SW so it shows in the Bill of Materials?
    Also looking for the HW-HWI-LX in the software??
    I assume that if you have "Legacy" keypads and QS keypads, each have to live on their respective link, correct ? So i need (2) links for keypads ?
    Kevin,

You can add the HQ-HWI-KP-SW and HW-HWI-LX to Design>Line items. This will add them to the BOM.

Legacy and QS keypads need to be on separate links.