Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: OUCH! Expensive Lesson Learned

Angry OUCH! Expensive Lesson Learned

yesterday I installed quite a few honeycomb shades for a client (outside mount, above trim); got them all up and when I closed them they are all too short (they don't reach the bottom). Checked my measurements and it turns out that I neglected to add the needed 3" to account for the higher mounting point. Now I get to order to shades for the client on my dime and have custom honeycomb shades in inventory that I probably will never be able to sell.

The lesson here is that if you have an outside mount above the trim, don't forget to add the additional length needed...ouch!!!

As an aside....since the brackets are in the correct place and all I'll need to do is replace the shades, what's the secret on removing a honeycomb shade out of a bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by jkvossen View Post
    yesterday I installed quite a few honeycomb shades for a client (outside mount, above trim); got them all up and when I closed them they are all too short (they don't reach the bottom). Checked my measurements and it turns out that I neglected to add the needed 3" to account for the higher mounting point. Now I get to order to shades for the client on my dime and have custom honeycomb shades in inventory that I probably will never be able to sell.

The lesson here is that if you have an outside mount above the trim, don't forget to add the additional length needed...ouch!!!

As an aside....since the brackets are in the correct place and all I'll need to do is replace the shades, what's the secret on removing a honeycomb shade out of a bracket?
    did you use SCT? I haven't done honeycomb yet, and with rollers I assume there usually is just about 3" there 'extra' rolled up on the roller.
    I am guessing when you measured drop, you measured inside the window casing, instead of from the top of the shade to the bottom of the casing? Does that sound right?
    Sorry you had to learn this the hard way.

I did use SCT, I just didn't add the required 3" needed for the above trim mount. The measurement I used was the top of the trim piece to the top of the sill. I guess what would be great is that if SCT sees that you are specifying an above the trim mount, it puts up a popup window that says something like:

you are ordering a shade with an above the trim mount,
    please make sure that you have increased the length of
    the shade to compensate

or something like that as a warning for us dummies.

4. Thanks RA2-Designer-Gal thanked for this post
    Likes RA2-Designer-Gal liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jkvossen View Post
    There is a release tab at the bottom of the mounting clip.

6. Thanks jkvossen thanked for this post
    Likes jkvossen liked this post
    found it and it works...thanks