Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Lutron app & Caseta system work with a router but no internet?

Will Lutron app & Caseta system work with a router but no internet?

I am bench testing this and it seems to not work. I connected and "registered the system" and logged in. I can see and control the lights. I then disconnect the internet from the router and I can no longer control the lights because when I start the app it asks me to login.

So even if I have a router and the bridge pro connected, and I am connected to the router with my phone, I can not control my lights within the app?

Eric Schneider

It will work if you set up and use third party app irule. Not ideal, I know.

I found a quote from 6 months ago (end of June), where it was said that local control is coming. I assume this means you wouldn't need internet access to use the app within the home. My Boss needs this now. Ugh.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by tun6twista View Post
    I found a quote from 6 months ago (end of June), where it was said that local control is coming. I assume this means you wouldn't need internet access to use the app within the home. My Boss needs this now. Ugh.
    tun6twista,

Unfortunately, local access is currently not available on the Lutron App. The Smart Bridge currently requires an Internet connect to use the Lutron App.

Local access is still a feature that is coming to the Lutron App and Smart Bridge. We do not have a current time frame of when it will be released.

Thank you for your feedback. It has been passed along to the Caseta Wireless Development team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    Local access is still a feature that is coming to the Lutron App and Smart Bridge.
    Glad to hear it is coming. Kevin, would that future update also include a way to extract information from the bridge? The current way to do it through the app is not user friendly at all.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    Glad to hear it is coming. Kevin, would that future update also include a way to extract information from the bridge? The current way to do it through the app is not user friendly at all.
    veeeh,

The integration information will still need to be sent from inside the Lutron App.

Thank you for that feedback. I will pass it along to the Caseta Wireless development team.

I watched a Lutron rep demo the Caseta system. She was able to do everything. After I looked at her setup I asked where was she tied into the internet. She told me she was not. So there is a way to use the app with a router not connected to the internet.

Might be true for the demo, but not so in real life.

In real life, with the latest Caseta app (version 1.3), once it loses connection to the internet, it goes into that dreaded "Connecting..." / "Retry?" loop, and takes real long time to recover. Sometimes it is easier to logout and login again (if you have a short and easy password).

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    Might be true for the demo, but not so in real life.

In real life, with the latest Caseta app (version 1.3), once it loses connection to the internet, it goes into that dreaded "Connecting..." / "Retry?" loop, and takes real long time to recover. Sometimes it is easier to logout and login again (if you have a short and easy password).
    I see what you are talking about. Next time I see her I will disconnect her router and turn back on to see if same thing happens.

Confirming Caseta local control. I can start the Lutron app on my iPhone and it will connect to the hub without an internet connection. The hub and iPhone are on the same network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast