Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Looking for Feedback on converting a pre 2003 HWI to HWQS

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    13

    Question Looking for Feedback on converting a pre 2003 HWI to HWQS

    Anyone had any experience upgrading a legacy HWI with some pre-2003 components in it to HWQS? App Note #537 warns of issues with White label RPM-4U and certain HWI-MI-120 units. Trying to find out if the 'possible issues' they warn against are common or not so common.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike R. View Post
    Anyone had any experience upgrading a legacy HWI with some pre-2003 components in it to HWQS? App Note #537 warns of issues with White label RPM-4U and certain HWI-MI-120 units. Trying to find out if the 'possible issues' they warn against are common or not so common.
    I had one upgrade with 2 old MIs that were not-quite in the 'must upgrade' category and they did not work with QS. RPM light zones would sometimes turn off, sometimes just dim down to 20% or so. New MIs fixed the problem. I would assume a system that old will at least need new MIs, if not new RPMs as well.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    13

    confirmed my Lutroninstincts

    Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    I had one upgrade with 2 old MIs that were not-quite in the 'must upgrade' category and they did not work with QS. RPM light zones would sometimes turn off, sometimes just dim down to 20% or so. New MIs fixed the problem. I would assume a system that old will at least need new MIs, if not new RPMs as well.
    Thanks for responding. I had a suspicion that it wasn't quite 'soup' yet...or ever will be! Doesn't seem like it should be this difficult!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    371
    Its not that difficult

    just post the date codes from rpms and MI's and Lutron can tell you the answer rather quickly

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    13
    Thanks, but I already know the answer. The majority of the modules have the white labels, which is indicative of pre-2003. So, I'll forgo the pillow-talk with Lutron tech support on this one and take advantage of the legacy processor price reduction!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    315

    Good Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    Its not that difficult

    just post the date codes from rpms and MI's and Lutron can tell you the answer rather quickly
    I would check with Lutron 1st and have spares lined up too if the date codes are close. The date codes on the malfunctioning MIs 'fit the spec' for being compatible, and phone tech support confirmed that. This was probably 2 years ago, so I'm not sure if the spec has been updated since. I was lucky to have 'spares' across town at a job still under construction and no-one noticed the swap. The other site is P5 and still working fine.

Similar Threads

  1. LED logic feedback from a conditional button
    By Blarsen in forum Programming - HWQS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2014, 03:06 PM
  2. Converting Incandescent Dimming setup to LED's
    By mca-llc in forum Compatibility - LED
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM
  3. LHC+ 6.0 has lost conditional ''feedback''
    By digit1 in forum Troubleshooting - Legacy HW
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 07:48 PM
  4. 3rd Party Control feedback?
    By digit1 in forum 3rd-party Integration - Legacy HW
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
  5. Feedback on the Forums
    By David Haddad in forum General Discussion - HWQS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2013, 04:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •