Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: LED bulb failure after several weeks

LED bulb failure after several weeks

Hello,

I have a Caseta Wireless wall switch and remote. I installed it to control an existing, working ceiling fixture with two bulb sockets. The fixture was working previously with two CFLs, but I replaced those with two CREE 60W equivalent LED bulbs that are on the compatible products list.

After several weeks, one of the two LED bulbs began to turn on and off randomly. Not flickering, but turning on and off by itself over the course of one or more hours. It would be on or off when initially turned on, but then change to off/on after several minutes or hours, and sometimes even change back. I took the malfunctioning bulb out and tried putting it in a different fixture, and the same behavior continued.

Suspecting a defective bulb, I replaced that bulb with another of the same type. Unfortunately, the same behavior began after several weeks of good operation. Eventually, that bulb died.

Could my wall switch be defective and harming the electronics in the LED bulbs? Is there a series of trouble shooting steps that you can recommend that doesn't involve buying more and more LED lights?

Thanks,
    Ted

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
    Hello,

I have a Caseta Wireless wall switch and remote. I installed it to control an existing, working ceiling fixture with two bulb sockets. The fixture was working previously with two CFLs, but I replaced those with two CREE 60W equivalent LED bulbs that are on the compatible products list.

After several weeks, one of the two LED bulbs began to turn on and off randomly. Not flickering, but turning on and off by itself over the course of one or more hours. It would be on or off when initially turned on, but then change to off/on after several minutes or hours, and sometimes even change back. I took the malfunctioning bulb out and tried putting it in a different fixture, and the same behavior continued.

Suspecting a defective bulb, I replaced that bulb with another of the same type. Unfortunately, the same behavior began after several weeks of good operation. Eventually, that bulb died.

Could my wall switch be defective and harming the electronics in the LED bulbs? Is there a series of trouble shooting steps that you can recommend that doesn't involve buying more and more LED lights?

Thanks,
    Ted
    Ted,

To verify if this is a device issue or fixture/bulb issue, please try moving the dimmer to a known working circuit. If the issue follows the dimmer to the new circuit then I suspect a dimmer issue. If the issue stays in the current circuit then it would signal a fixture/bulb issue.

Also ensure the bulbs being used are rated to be in a ceiling fixture. Some LED bulbs are not rated to work in a ceiling or enclosed fixture.

3. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post